- Welcome to the Rocket League arena, where football and driving collide. Winner or nominee of quite 150 ‘Game of the Year’ awards, Rocket League may be a high-powered hybrid of arcade soccer and driving with rewarding physics-based gameplay.
- Take to the pitch for a fully-featured offline season mode, multiple game types, casual and competitive online matches, and special “Mutations” that permit you modify the principles entirely. Express yourself with one among the deepest customization systems around and battle opponents on other platforms with groundbreaking cross-network play.
- In March 2016, Psyonix announced the first Rocket League Championship Series; the finals took place in August 2016 with a $55,000 prize pool. More than $1 million in revenues from the sale of in-game crates and cosmetic items were used to fund additional competitive events throughout the year, including smaller competitions at major gaming conventions and support for community-run competitive events.
- Psyonix had previously developed Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars in 2008 for the PlayStation 3.
- Rocket League has been one among the leading games in supporting cross-platform play between personal computers and consoles. Dunham sees cross-platform play helps establish a stable player base and avoid the snowball effect which will cause isolated player bases on individual platforms to wane, particularly within the transition from one console generation to the next.
- Players control a rocket-powered car and use it to hit a ball that’s much larger than the cars towards the opposite team’s goal area to attain goals, in a way that resembles a soccer game, with elements like a demolition derby. Players’ cars have the power to leap to hit the ball while in mid-air. The players also can devour a speed boost by passing their cars over marked spaces on the sector , enabling them to quickly cross the sector , use the added momentum to hit the ball, or ram into another player’s car to destroy it; within the latter case, the destroyed car respawns moments later.
- A player can also use a lift when within the air to propel themselves forward on the wing , allowing players to hit the ball within the air. Players can alter their car’s orientation while midair, which combined with midair boosting allows for controlled flight.
- Players also can perform quick dodges, causing their car to try to to a brief jump and spin during a given direction, which may be wont to nudge the ball or gain positioning advantage over the other team.Matches are usually five minutes long, with a sudden death overtime if the game is tied at that point.
- Matches are often played from between one-on-one up to four-on-four players, also as in casual and ranked playlists.
- The latter is Rocket League’s competitive online mode, where players compete in various tiered ranks within game seasons, with victories or losses raising or lowering a player’s rank, respectively. The game includes a single-player “season” mode, with the player competing with computer-controlled players.
- An update in December 2016 introduced “Custom Training” sequences which will be created by players and shared with others on an equivalent platform; players are ready to specify the ball’s path and therefore the presence and skill of opponents on the sector on practice specific shots-on-goal over and over.
Game modes and reception
A few months after it had been released, Psyonix released an update that added game modes referred to as “mutators”, modifying some aspects of gameplay, like increased or decreased gravity, ball size, ball speed and bounciness. For the 2015 season , another update replaced mutator matches with an ice hockey-inspired mode (called “Snow Day”), played on an ice-skating rink and therefore the ball was replaced with a hockey puck with different physics.
Positive reception to the hockey mode led thereto being extended for a couple of weeks after the vacation season. Snow Day was permanently added to the mutator settings for personal matches and exhibition games on February 10, 2016.
- “Hoops”, a game mode supported basketball, was added on April 26, 2016.
- A separate “Rumble” mode, which includes unusual power-ups, like the power to freeze the ball in place or cause one opponent to possess difficulty controlling their car, was added on September 8, 2016.
An update in December 2016, referred to as “Starbase ARC” (based on Psyonix’ mobile game ARC Squadron) added support for custom arenas for Windows players supported through Steam Workshop, along with other new content.
Psyonix planned to continue to support Rocket League with downloadable content (DLC), intending to keep all gameplay updates free and only charging for cosmetic items.
Play with your friends online across all platforms! Kick-off in Soccar modes, or try Extra Modes that put a twist on classic Rocket League. Plus, enjoy the offline Season Mode!
How far will you enter Rocket League’s season pass? Play for free of charge , or purchase Rocket Pass Premium and obtain unique In-Game Items, Credits, XP Bonus, and Weekly Challenges!
Play in online Competitive Playlists and climb the ranks! Each rank earns unique Competitive Rewards each season!
In-Game Events, Limited Time Modes, and New Arenas!
From Haunted Hallows to Frosty Fest, enjoy limited-time events that feature festive in-game items which will be unlocked just by playing online! Keep on the lookout for new modes and arenas.
Item Shop & Blueprints
Make your car your own with more than 500 trillion customization possibilities! Get in-game items for free after matches, browse the Item Shop, or build Blueprints for premium content for your car.
Brand New Music
Feel the beat! Check out new music from Monstercat in Rocket League at the same time it’s released to the world.
Rocket Pass – Purchase Rocket Pass Premium to urge an initial 50% XP bonus and earn up to 70 unique rewards, including a replacement Battle-Car, Goal Explosion, Keys, and more!
Challenge System – Play Online Matches and complete Weekly Challenges to tier and unlock unique rewards only found in Rocket Pass.
Esports Shop – boast your team pride for your favorite teams in Rocket League Esports! The Rocket League Esports Shop pilot program brings new Decals, Wheels, and Player Banners that represent a number of the simplest teams within the sport. of the best teams in the sport.
Sales and players
On July 11, 2015, Psyonix announced that there were around 120,000 concurrent players across both Windows and PlayStation 4. By the top of July, the sport had been downloaded over 5 million times, and had 179,000 concurrent players. Psyonix stated that Rocket League’s quick paced success far exceeded their expectations.
Psyonix announced that over a million copies of the sport had been sold on Steam by August 2015. By the top of 2015, the sport had been downloaded over eight million times, and grossed over $50 million.
Music of the game
The original soundtrack for Rocket League was released both physically and digitally on Dominion Day , 2015. It contains original compositions by Psyonix sound designer Mike Ault, also as contributions by Ault’s electronic music group, Hollywood Principle
Rocket League was officially announced as the sequel to Battle-Cars in February 2014. Building on the effects from the lack of marketing with Battle-Cars, Psyonix developed a different marketing approach to Rocket League.
Awards and accolades
After the E3 2015 event, Rocket League received multiple nominations and won several awards, including PlayStation Universe’s “Best Sports Game of E3 and Gaming Trend’s “Best Multiplayer Game of E3”.
At the sport Awards 2015 in December, Rocket League won the award for Best Independent Game and Best Sports/Racing Game, and was nominated for Best Multiplayer.
Rocket League, upon release and throughout its lifetime, has been given positive reviews by computer game critics. Similar scores were attained by the game’s later ports. Positive feedback was aimed towards the game’s multiplayer gameplay, and its graphics and visuals, especially in comparison to Battle-Cars; later reviews praised the player experience in the game.Criticism was mostly aimed at the game’s physics engine, though a consensus on the topic has been mostly unclear, with some defending the engine.