- Apex Legends is a free-to-play battle royale game developed by Respawn Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts. It was released for Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on February 4, 2019, with no prior announcement or marketing.
- Apex Legends received positive reviews from critics, who praised its gameplay, progression system, and fusion of elements from various genres. Some considered it a worthy competitor to Fortnite Battle Royale, an identical game that had gained massive popularity within the previous year.
- Apex Legends surpassed over 25 million players by the top of its first week, and 50 million within its first month. According to EA, as of July 2019, the sport had approximately 8 to 10 million players every week and by October 2019 it had approximately 70 million players worldwide.
Apex Legends is a web multiplayer battle royale game featuring squads of three players using pre-made characters (called “Legends”), almost like those of hero shooters. Alternate modes are introduced allowing single and for two-player squads since the game’s release.
- Each match generally features twenty teams of three-player squads. Players can join friends during a squad or are often matched randomly with other players. Before the match, each player on the squad selects one among the 13 playable characters (as of Season 5), with the exception that no character could also be selected more than once by a squad. Each character within the squad features a unique design, personality, and skills that provide different playstyles to the team.
- All teams are then placed on an aircraft that passes over the sport map. One player in each squad is the jumpmaster, selecting when the squad should skydive out of the aircraft and where to land with the concurrence of the opposite squad members. However, players are liberal to deviate from the squad’s path.
- Once on the bottom , the squad can scavenge for weapons, armor, and other equipment that’s scattered around buildings, or in crates randomly distributed round the map, while keeping an eye out for other squads.
- Apex Legends includes a nonverbal communication “ping system” which allows players to use their game controller to speak to their squad in certain directions, weapon locations, enemies and suggested strategies. While the sport offers movement options almost like other shooters, it includes a number of the gameplay features of previous Titanfall games, like the power to climb over short walls, slump inclined surfaces, and use zip-lines to traverse a neighborhood quickly.
- Wild Frontier
The first season of Apex Legends introduced a replacement playable character referred to as Octane and included several bug fixes and quality of life improvements, including adjustments to so-called “hitboxes” (a predefined ‘damageable’ zone which is exclusive to every legend, supported their size and shape) and also unique skills of the game’s characters. Season 1 also brought with it the game’s first battle pass and an outsized number of latest cosmetic items
- Battle Charge
With season 2, the developers introduced another playable character called Wattson and also re-designed the layout of the game’s island. Following an explosion (shown within the season’s trailer), roaming alien wildlife, referred to as leviathans and flyers, are interested in the island and destroyed large areas, rendering parts of the map unrecognizable from the previous season. Season 2 also released a replacement weapon and introduced a replacement ranked mode of play, allowing players of an identical skill to play against one another , and adjusting a player’s ranking supported their game performance.
A new legend named Crypto is introduced who has tried to rig the Apex games. A new weapon referred to as the Charge Rifle is added and changes to Ranked are going to be made. The season also comes with a fresh battle pass. A fresh map, named “World’s Edge” is additionally introduced, which has players fighting through volcanic and frozen landscapes. The map also includes a train that travels throughout World’s Edge. The season also changes up the meta by removing certain attachments and introducing new ones whilst changing what current items can do.
A new legend named Revenant is introduced, a Simulacrum with the memories of his human self. A new sniper weapon referred to as the Sentinel is added. World’s Edge is devastated by a Harvester that has appeared within the middle of the map, creating lava faults and changing the environment. Major changes to ranked were made, introducing a replacement tier referred to as “Master” tier, while the Apex Predator tier is for the highest 500 players on each platform, meaning players can be pushed out of it.
- Fortune’s Favor
A new legend named Loba is introduced, a thief with the power to steal loot from nearby loot and teleport. Loba is out for revenge against Revenant, a simulacrum hitman who killed her parents. Ranked Series 4 is essentially just like Series 3 and reconnect is added which allows players to rejoin a session if they disconnect. A new “quest” system is additionally introduced, which allows players to fight in PvE missions either solo or with a squad to earn unique rewards. A new battle pass is also introduced. Apex announced they might be expanding their servers to the center East. Skull Town and Thunderdome have also been destroyed.
Apex Legends features a diverse cast of 13 characters. Many of the character designs are supported by Titanfall. One character is non-binary, while other characters are LGBTQ
Crypto focuses on secrets; he knows the way to uncover them, and the way to stay them. A brilliant hacker and encryption expert, he uses aerial drones to spy on his opponents within the Apex Arena without being seen. It’s been noted that his drones have an identical design to those created by wanted murderer Tae Joon Park.
Born into a military family where she, her parents, and her four older brothers all served within the IMC soldiers , Bangalore has been an exceptional soldier since she was young. She was top of her class at the IMC academy and therefore the only cadet who could take apart a Peacekeeper, equip it with a Precision Choke hop-up, and put it back together in under twenty seconds – blindfolded.
Bloodhound is understood across the Outlands together of the best game hunters the Frontier has ever seen – and that’s about all anyone knows. Their identity may be a mystery wrapped in layers of rumors: they’re fabulously wealthy, a bloodthirsty murderer, a Goliath whisperer, a former slave, half bat, and a dozen other things depending on who’s doing the whispering.
Before there was Caustic, a scientist named Alexander Nox worked at Humbert Labs, the Frontier’s leading manufacturer of pesticide gases. With a glut of pesticides needed to guard the growing Frontier colonies’ crops, Humbert Labs was constantly on the search for better and stronger formulas. Nox was one among their brightest scientists and worked day and night developing new gases. But to form sure they worked, he needed to check them on quite just inert tissue: he needed something living.
Ajay Che, aka Lifeline, isn’t someone you’d expect to seek out within the Apex Games. Once the kid of war profiteers, she left home when she learned of the damage her family had caused and enlisted within the Frontier Corps, a humanitarian organization that aids Frontier communities in need. She’s since devoted her life to helping others and joined the Apex Games to fund the Frontier Corps together with her winnings.
Gibraltar may be a gentle giant with a wild side. The son of two SARAS (Search and Rescue Association of Solace) volunteers, he has always been skilled at getting others out of dangerous situations that are common within the Outlands. However, he only began to know the worth of protecting others when he and his boyfriend stole his father’s motorcycle, took it on a joyride, and got trapped by a deadly mudslide. His parents saved them, and his father lost an arm within the process. Gibraltar has never forgotten that sacrifice and has devoted his life to helping those in need.
- Apex Legends received generally favorable reviews consistent with the review aggregator Metacritic. Some publications, including Destructoid, Game Informer, GamesRadar+, and PC Gamer, called it one of the best takes on the battle royale genre thus far, and a worthy challenger to Fortnite Battle Royale’s dominance of the genre.
- Eight hours after its launch, Apex Legends surpassed a million unique players, and reached 2.5 million unique players within 24 hours. In one week it achieved a total of 25 million players, with over 2 million peak concurrent, and by the end of its first month it reached 50 million players in total.
- Within the first month of its release, Apex Legends made $92 million in revenue across all platforms, the highest amount earned by any free-to-play game during its month of launch.
- Throughout April, the game was estimated to have earned $24 million in revenue, representing 74 percent less than the amount it earned during its first month, as the game failed to sustain an equivalent level of interest generated by its launch.
- In July 2019, EA told investors that the game had 8 to 10 million players a week and also credited Apex Legends with the company’s recent upturn in live services earnings as their Q1 2020 financial results exceeded expectations.
- With the discharge of season 3 in October 2019, Apex Legends reached a playerbase of 70 million people internationally and is believed to have earned $45 million therein month alone.