Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Call of Duty is undeniably one among the foremost recognisable video games on the earth . The game was released for the PC way back in 2003, and the franchise has spawned a whopping 16 titles to date, and featured on almost 20 gaming consoles and devices.
- Despite being one among the foremost popular games on the market, CoD has never been a stranger to controversy; themes of war, terrorism and other adult subjects parents and guardians might feel uncomfortable exposing their children to, have always been a part of the series.
- The latest iteration, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, is no different, even doubling down on some of these mature themes. So with that in mind, here’s a helpful guide to aid you in navigating the world of Call of Duty.
- Modern Warfare features unified progression across the entire game, as players enlist in an epic story campaign, engage in the ultimate online multiplayer playground, and play cooperatively with friends in an all-new collection of Special Ops experiences.
- Modern Warfare’s multiplayer delivers a heart-pumping experience with best-in-class down the barrel gameplay.
- With unprecedented variety, players can choose from an array of new play spaces that refine Call of Duty multiplayer. These include the highly praised, fast-action 2v2 Gunfight, classic 6v6 multiplayer, epic large-scale maps supporting high player counts, and everything in between.
- Players will be able to customize the way they play based on their preference and playstyles through a selection of multiplayer Operators and unparalleled modifiability in the new Gunsmith system. In the gripping single player story, players will immerse themselves in a visceral narrative that shines a light on the changing nature of modern war.
- Alongside a cast of international special forces and freedom fighters, fans take the role of tier one operators in a saga that will affect the global balance of power.
- Additionally, picking up where the Campaign ends is the cooperative Special Ops mode where players can team up in strike-teams of four. Special Ops advances the overarching Modern Warfare lore with multiple ways to play co-op, including Operations, the largest and most involved experience with multi-phased objectives, and the more curated Classic Special Ops, to test your performance with weapons, munitions and other tools.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare features a replacement engine delivering an immersive and photo-realistic experience across the whole game.
- The new technology utilizes the newest advancements in visual engineering, including a physically-based material system allowing state-of-the-art photogrammetry, a replacement hybrid tile based streaming system, new PBR decal rendering system, world volumetric lighting, 4K HDR, DirectX Raytracing (PC) and more also as a replacement GPU geometry pipeline.
- Spectral rendering delivers thermal heat radiation and infrared identification for both thermal and night-vision in-game imaging. The technical investment made provides a cutting-edge animation system and blend shape system, while the new suite of audio tools allows for full Dolby ATMOS support, on supported platforms, along with the latest in audio simulation effects.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. The title features a fully-optimized PC version, developed in partnership with Beenox, which can be available exclusively on Blizzard Battle.net®, Blizzard Entertainment’s online gaming platform. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is published by Activision, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ: ATVI) with development led by award-winning developer Infinity Ward, and extra development support from Beenox, High-Moon Studios, Raven Software and Sledgehammer Games.
- The game was developed by Infinity Ward, following their 2016 entry Infinite Warfare, and continuing within the “three year development cycle” tradition for the franchise. High Moon Studios, Beenox, Raven Software, and Sledgehammer Games all provided additional development. The game uses a brand-new engine for the series, allowing the utilization of more detailed environments, advanced photogrammetry and rendering, better volumetric lighting, and therefore the use of ray tracing.
- The new engine had been in development five years before the discharge of the sport , and was a collaborative effort between the Infinity Ward studio in California and the new studio in Poland. On May 30, the game’s official trailer and release date were unveiled. According to narrative director Taylor Kurosaki, Captain Price is going to be featured during a retconned narrative “where the events within the previous Modern Warfare timeline haven’t occurred.”
- Modern Warfare’s single-player campaign focuses on realism and have tactically-based moral choices whereupon the player is evaluated and assigned a score at the top of every level; players need to quickly ascertain whether NPCs are a threat or not, like a civilian woman who is believed to be reaching for a gun, on the other hand simply grabs her baby from a crib.
- This fatal accident score, mentioned as a threat assessment, is predicated on what percentage civilians the player injures or kills and ranges from rank A to F. Rewards are introduced to those who score higher.
- Character dialogue will differ counting on the alternatives the player makes within the game. Tactical decisions also are included, like the player employing a precision rifle during a large environment to approach objectives during a non-linear order, and selecting to shoot out lights in favor of using night-vision goggles during breaching and clearing.
VIOLENCE AND GRAPHIC CONTENT
Call of Duty has been given an 18+ rating due to “violence against vulnerable and defenceless characters, motiveless killing of innocent characters, graphic violence and use of strong language.” Despite the rating, the game is still extremely popular amongst under 18’s who could be exposed to violent themes or foul language that parents and carers may not deem suitable or age appropriate for their children.
INCREDIBLY RAW CAMPAIGN
The single player campaign in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare focuses around a war in the ctitious Middle Eastern country of Urzikstan. It features special forces operations, large open battles, chemical weapons and torture. Innity Ward (who developed the game) have gone on record saying this is the most realistic and grounded game they have ever made, so it stands to reason that the campaign has generated a huge amount of controversy, especially in today’s heated political climate. While younger players might not fully grasp what’s going on on screen, it’s bound to raise some uncomfortable questions if they’re left to play it unsupervised.
CHATTING TO STRANGERS
By far the biggest pull for players to Call of Duty is the expansive multiplayer. As well as offering up a wide variety of competitive game modes, Modern Warfare also includes some co-op gameplay modes. Ideally, this means players and children can join a group with their friends and play together online. However, players can play against or with anyone in the world and, with no lter, the language used may often be inappropriate for young children. Due to the competitive nature of gaming and the fact conversations are not moderated, your child could also be at risk of cyberbullying
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has promised to be the best yet. The game features a number of new game modes and now includes crossplay for the rst time, whereby players can now play each other across any device (i.e. Xbox, Playstation or PC). As always tends to be the case when a new game is released, players spend large amounts of time getting to grips with the new features and the repetitive nature of COD means children can and it dicult to stop playing and realise their limits.
LOOT BOXES SWAPPED FOR BATTLE PASSES
Previous versions of Call of Duty have included ‘loot boxes’, which have been widely discussed in the news and are considered by critics to essentially promote form gambling. Players could unlock items as they progress but wouldn’t know what they were purchasing beforehand. Modern Warfare however has swapped loot boxes for ‘battle passes’. This means a greater level of transparency as players know exactly what they are buying, how they will be unlocked and when they will receive them in the game.
STICK TO THE PEGI RATING
It really can’t be stressed enough how much this game is not for younger children. While you could argue that most of the horrific scenes are in the single player campaign, and you can just play multiplayer and co-op to avoid them, those modes are not without their shortcomings. For example, one of the killstreaks you can attain in multiplayer is white phosphorus – a chemical weapon that can do indescribable things to the human body. This really comes down to the personal judgement of the adult, and the emotional maturity of the child, but if there’s still any doubt, stick to the PEGI rating – it’s there for a reason.
BE WARY OF GORE AND VIOLENCE
There’s no getting around the fact that this is an incredibly realistic game, from the themes down to the gameplay, and that includes the amount of gore in the game. While there is an option to disable dismemberment of bodies in the game includes a rather visceral amount of violence that is prevalent throughout.
TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT THE THEMES
Modern Warfare at its heart, is a game about good vs bad and the grey areas in between. Morally complex characters and situations are more prevalent in today’s modern age than they’ve ever been before, and it does carry some important political and social commentary. If you are okay letting children play the game. It’s definitely worth sitting down with them to discuss the themes and why it’s important to approach them critically. For example, Captain Price is clearly a good character, but he does questionable things in order to achieve his goals. Does this make him a bad character? If kids are old enough to see these situations, they’re old enough to question why.
Modern Warfare earned over $600 million within its first three days of release, making it the highest-selling game within the franchise during the present console generation and breaking several sales records, including the simplest digital opening in Activision’s history, the foremost digital copies sold for a game in three days on PlayStation 4, and therefore the best Call of Duty launch on PC. In Japan, it had been released within the top 20 video games chart with 117,670 copies sold within the first week. On December 18, 2019, Activision confirmed Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has earned over $1 billion in revenue.