- The International 2019 was the 9th creation of the process of Dota 2’s flagship annual championship. It was hosted by Valve Corporation and it took place at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai, China. It is the 1st to be celebrated in Asia.
- The Championship began on 3 July 2019 with the Open Qualifiers and closed on 25 August 2019 with the Grand Finals, where OG successfully defended their title by defeating 2017 champions Team Liquid 3-1, becoming the 1st team to win 2 championships.
- The prize pool of the championship was over US$34.3 million.
- The Dota2 International 2019 is the biggest Championship to ever take place in eSports. It broke the record which was previously held by the Fortnite World Cup 2019 which was awarded $30 million. The bulk of the money awarded during the event is collected through several in-game items released by Valve which included
- The International 2019 Battle Pass
- A digital tournament pass and
- It features a bundle tied to the event that includes many activities and cosmetic items.
- The year 2019 marks the 5th consecutive year that The International’s prize pool outgrows its previous-year record. However, it is the 1st year the record is held by a non-Dota 2 tournament although for a short period of time.
- The International 2019 became the 3rd successive event won by a European team. The event also saw numerous new records being set and also some old records being shattered.
- OG‘s back-to-back victory is the 1st ever in the event’s history. The win of OG also made Europe the region with the most championship wins which included 4 titles. The team also became the 1st one to return to the Grand Finals and win a 2nd time with the original champion roster.
- Natus Vincere, Newbee and Team Liquid had capable roster changes before they reached the Grand Finals again.
- OG also became the 1st champion since Natus Vincere to make it to the Grand Finals the following year.
- Team Liquid became the 1st team to run through the entire Lower Bracket with the most number of series won during the main Stage. The victory of Team Liquid against PSG.LGD in the Lower Bracket final meant that 2 previous champions would meet in the Grand Finals which finally killed the chances of a new team winning the championship.
- The International 2019 saw a growth in the number of preceding champions attending the event. Natus Vincere and Alliance came back after 2 years without qualifying. Only 2 champions did not make it: 2012 winners Invictus Gaming, who fell during the regional qualifiers, and 2016 winners Wings Gaming, who scattered shortly after winning the championship.
Participants in the championship
- Europe Qualifiers
- CIS Qualifier
- China Qualifier
- Southeast Asia Qualifier
- North America Qualifier
- South America Qualifier
Schedule and format of the championship
|From July 08 – 14||Main Qualifiers||6 Regions include North AmericaSouth AmericasEuropeChinaCISSoutheast Asia.Winner from each region advances to the main event.|
|From July 08 – 14||Main Qualifiers||6 Regions: North Americas, South Americas, Europe, China, CIS, and Southeast Asia.Winner from each region advances to the main event.|
- The Main Event is a double-elimination tournament with the top 4 teams from each group starting off in the Upper Bracket whilst those who received 5th to 8th place starting off in the Lower.
- The teams that received 9th place in each group were eliminated.
- Most matches in the tournament are best-of-3, with the only exceptions being the matches in the 1st round of the Lower Bracket being best-of-1 and the Grand Finals being best-of-5.
- If any team in the Upper Bracket were to have lost their round, they would be placed within the Lower Bracket, giving them a 2nd chance to make it to the grand finals.
- If any team were to be eliminated from the Lower Bracket, they are eliminated from play.
|From August 20 – 25||Main Event||16 teams, double elimination.8 teams begin in the upper bracket, 8 in the lower bracket.First lower bracket game is best of one, others are best of three.Grand finals are best of five.|