POPULAR GAMING CONSOLES OF ALL TIME
Gaming is one of the chief sources of entertainment among the teens and kids of any country. It has also seen many stages from Atari 2600 to graphical power houses that are being used in today gaming. There is also a practical animation used in gaming. There are many absolute consoles from different firm’s built by the highest developers. There are many gaming devices that have shattered all records in the number of sales. So, here is a list of the 10 best and most popular gaming consoles of all time.
1. PLAYSTATION 2
- Sony PlayStation 2 is the most admired and the finest selling game consoles in the history of gaming.
- Sony has disclosed that it has sold roughly 155 million units of PlayStation 2 till March 2012.
- It runs on the broadband connectivity through which gamers can select and play their favourite game over the internet.
- The competition is very high because there are games from different parts of the world.
- The Sony gaming console also supports DVD and CD playback.
2. NINTENDO DS
- Nintendo DS was released in the year 2004.
- It has 2 LCD screens and the bottom one has a genuine stylus through which it takes input.
- According to the organization figures, they have sold roughly 153.99 units of the device.
- The number of units sold makes it the 2nd most gaming device ever sold in the history of gaming.
- It supports multiplayer games using 1 game card.
3. GAME BOY
- The gaming console was originally released in Japan in the year 1989.
- After it became a grand success in the Japan market, the very next year it was released in the international market.
- The display of the console is of shallow quality but the battery backup is exceptional. It will provide roughly 30 hours of playback.
- It has a compact digital camera in the world which has been mentioned in the Guinness book of world records in the year 1999.
- This was the 1st gaming console in the PlayStation series released by Sony.
- It was released in 1994. Along with playing, users can also play an audio CD.
- The games that became popular through this series are Air Combat, Battle Arena Toshinden and Street Fighter.
- It was no longer available by Sony in 2006.
- It was a great success for the company and they have sold roughly 102.49 million.
- It was released by the Nintendo Company in the year 2006.
- It was such a great success that it outsold both PlayStation 3 by Sony and Xbox 360 from Microsoft.
- The worldwide sales of the gaming device crossed the mark of 101.15 million since it was released in the year 2009.
- The console has a Wii remote controller and a pointing device that can identify the movement in all the 3 dimensions.
- The users can control the game through physical gestures.
- It also has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
6. XBOX 360
- The Xbox 360 was the 2nd gaming device in the series Xbox released by Microsoft in 2005.
- The console is not only limited to the gaming but the users can also watch DVD movies.
- The console also allows users to play with their friends online.
- The company has sold 25.1 million alone in the US by the year 2011.
- There are also 3 major peripherals of the Xbox 360 series namely controllers, motion-sensing camera and more hard disc storage.
- The disc drive for Xbox 360 has many options such as 20, 60, 120, 250 or 320 GB.
7. GAME BOY ADVANCE
- It was the final gaming series in the game boy series by the firm Nintendo.
- It was released in 2001 and was a huge success in the U.S and Japan.
- It is equipped with many features like 32 bit CPU and has 17 times more speed than its predecessors.
- The most popular games are Super Mario Advance, Final Fantasy VI advance and the legend of Spyro.
- It was launched after the success of PlayStation 2.
- Sony sold PlayStation 3 till the year 2015.
- A unique feature of PlayStation 3 is that it uses blue ray discs as a primary storage device.
- It can store up to 54 GB of data.
- The console also features a USB port, one HDMI output and Bluetooth 20.
9. PLAYSTATION PORTABLE
- This was the 1st ever handheld gaming console launched by Sony.
- It was originally released in Japan in 2004.
- The gaming device was very popular in countries such as Europe, America, and Japan.
- It uses optical disc format as its primary storage.
- It also has USB 2.0 and memory stick port.
10. NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM
- The console was originally released in Japan in 1983.
- Later it was shipped to North America, Europe, and Australia.
- It has sold approximately 62 million making it the best gaming device of that time.
- The directional pad was introduced in this gaming device.