The positives and negatives effect of gaming
The main advantages of playing video games require enhancing mental skills that include:
- Problem interpreting and applying logic -When a child is playing a game such as The Incredible Machine, Angry Birds or Cut The Rope, he instructs his brain to come up with creative and new ways to solve puzzles and other problems in a short span of time.
- Improving the hand-eye coordination- In shooting games, the character may be running and shooting at the same time.
- It’s vital for the real-world player to keep track of the position of the character, where the person is heading, his speed, where the gun is aiming, if the gunfire is hitting the enemy, and so on.
- All these factors need to be taken into account, and then the player must coordinate the brain’s analysis and reaction with the movement in his hands and fingertips and this process requires a great deal of eye-hand coordination and visual-spatial ability to be successful.
- People can also learn iconic, spatial, and visual attention skills from video games.
- Planning, resource management and logistics–
- The player masters to manage resources that are limited and make the best use of resources in the same way in real life.
- This skill is improved in strategy games such as SimCity, Age of Empires, and Railroad Tycoon.
- Multitasking, simultaneous alignment of many changing variables and executing multiple objectives
- As for instance in strategy games, while developing a city, an unexpected surprise like an enemy might emerge.
- This forces the player to be very flexible and quickly change tactics as per the situation.
- Quickly thinking, making fast analysis and decision making
- Sometimes the player does this almost every second of the game giving the brain a real workout.
- Video games can also be used to train soldiers and surgeons.
- Most important decisions made by action-packed video game players are very accurate.
- Action games train the player’s brain to make better and faster decisions without losing accuracy.
- In today’s world, it is important to move quickly without sacrificing accuracy.
- Strategy and anticipation
- The gamer must deal with immediate problems while keeping his long-term goals on his horizon while playing the game.
- Situational awareness
- Defense News reported that the Army includes video games to train soldiers to improve their situational awareness in combat.
- Many strategy games also require the player to become mindful of sudden situational changes in the game and adapt accordingly.
- Developing reading and math skills
- The young gamer reads to get instructions, follow storylines of games, and get information from the game texts..
- Also, using math skills is important to win in many games that involve quantitative analysis like managing resources.
- Perseverance – In higher levels of a game, the player usually fails the first time around, but he keeps on trying until he succeeds and moves on to the next level.
Negative effects of video games
1. Health Issues
- Kids who spend a lot of time playing video games instead of indulging in physical activities can harm their health in a variety of ways.
- Constantly sitting in one place and playing video games at length can increase the chances of obesity, weaken the muscles and joints, make hands and fingers numb due to overexertion and can even weaken eyesight.
2. Academic Issues
- The excitement and fun that video games provide are in stark contrast to a typical day in school.
- This can cause kids to prefer video games over anything else and fail to pay attention at school.
- Even outside school, they may skip homework or studying for tests and choose to play video games instead, resulting in poor performance.
3. Exposure to Wrong Values
- Many video games in the market are oriented towards the mature audience.
- These video games contain excessive violence, over-the-top sexuality, profanity, racism, and many other aspects that cannot be perceived by kids in the right manner.
- They fail to take these depictions with a pinch of salt and end up trying to emulate the same behaviour as portrayed in the games.
4. Socially Disconnected
- Even though multiplayer games exist, most kids end up playing them by themselves in their own rooms.
- This severely limits their interpersonal skills in real life, preferring to be by themselves and interact digitally.
- Such kids fail to strike up conversations and feel bored and out of place at social gatherings, too.
5. Aggressive Behaviour
- The violent content in video games and the instant gratification that they provide can cause the kids to be impatient and aggressive in their behaviour.
- When things fail to go as planned or any restrictions are laid on kids, they can lash out or start harbouring aggressive thoughts that can manifest in troublesome behaviour.
Signs of Video Game Addiction in Kids
1. Denial of the instructions and telling lies
- The first sign of addiction is always being very defensive about it and denying that it exists.
- Even after providing proof the kid may refuse to accept the fact that they are wasting time in gaming.
2. Disinterest in Other Aspects of Life
- The video game and its world may take over the kid to such an extent that friends and family start to seem boring and mundane.
- Neglecting other activities such as studying will result in a reduced academic performance.
- Some kids fail to maintain basic hygiene as well, skipping baths for days on end, spending all the time playing games.
3. Uncontrolled Gaming Times
- Your child may promise you to play only for 10 minutes, or until they finish a particular level or so on.
- But in reality, they fail to stop themselves and keep playing for longer hours, unknown to them, too.