- PAYDAY 2 is an action-packed, four-player co-op shooter that when again lets gamers don the masks of the first PAYDAY crew – Dallas, Hoxton, Wolf, and Chains, as they descend on Washington DC for an epic crime spree.
- The new CRIMENET network offers an enormous range of dynamic contracts, and players are liberal to choose anything from small-time shop hits or kidnappings, to major league cyber-crime or emptying out major bank vaults for that epic PAYDAY.
- Up to four friends co-operate on the hits, and because the crew progresses the roles become bigger, better, and more rewarding. Along with earning extra money and becoming a legendary criminal comes a personality customization and crafting system that lets crews build and customize their own guns and kit.
- Rob Banks, Get Paid – Players must choose their crew carefully because when the work goes down they’re going to need the proper mixture of skills on their side.
- CRIMENET – The dynamic contract database lets gamers pick and choose between available jobs by connecting with local contacts like Vlad the Ukrainian, shady politician “The Elephant”, and South American pusher Hector, all with their own agenda and best interests in mind.
- PAYDAY Gunplay and Mechanics on a New Level – Firing weapons and zip tying civilians never felt so good.
- Dynamic Scenarios – No heist ever plays out an equivalent way twice. Every single scenario has random geometry or maybe rare events.
- Choose Your Skills – As players progress they will invest in any of 5 special Skill Trees: Mastermind, Enforcer, Ghost, Technician, and Fugitive. Each features a deep customization tree of associated skills and equipment to master, and that they are often mixed and matched to make the last word heister.
- More Masks than Ever – PAYDAY 2 features a totally new mask system, giving players the power to craft their own unique mask with a pattern and color of their choice, resulting in millions of different combinations.
- Weapons and Modifications – A fresh arsenal for the intense heister, covering everything from sniper and assault rifles to compact PDWs and SMGs. Once you’ve settled for a favorite, you’ll modify it with optics, suppressors, fore grips, reticles, barrels, frames, stocks, and more, all of which can affect the performance of your weapon. There also are purely aesthetic enhancements – why not choose the drug baron look with polished walnut grips for your nine?
- Play It Your Way – Each job allows for multiple approaches, like slow and stealthy ambushes or running in guns blazing. Hit the target any way you would like, each approach will provide a special experience.
- A Long History of Additional Content – quite 70 updates since release, including new heists, characters, weapons, and other gameplay features like driving cars and forklifts.
The plot of the game
- While the sport has no set linear campaign, each heist takes place around the same time that it had been released within the world. In addition, other plot details are presented through webcomics, trailers, and therefore the ‘FBI Files’ website.
- Payday 2, when first released, allowed players to regulate one among four pseudonymous robbers, three of those returned from Payday: The Heist: former Chicago mobster Dallas (portrayed by Eric Etebari, voiced by Simon Kerr), ex-Swedish software developer Wolf (Ulf Andersson), and rogue Navy SEAL and mercenary Chains (Damion Poitier). The fourth member of the gang, English crook Hoxton (portrayed by Josh Lenn, voiced by Pete Gold), was arrested by the FBI in between the events of the two games, so Dallas’ younger brother Houston (voiced by Derek Ray) is recruited to require his place.
- The gang’s command and control, the secretive Bain (portrayed by Digger T. Mesch, voiced by Simon Viklund), sets up Crime.net, a web service for contractors to rent criminals for jobs that they have done.
- Two years after the events of the first game, Dallas returns to heisting and Bain contracts him with the task of sneaking into a police department to steal a flash drive and use it to delete the intel the police wear Crime.net. Afterward, Dallas raids a mobster’s nightclub to retrieve cocaine that belonged to Bain’s acquaintance and fights through the police to flee by helicopter. Bain then arranges for the Payday Gang to relocate to Washington D.C. and helps them found out heists and jobs within the area, and connecting the gang with other contractors.
- The first is Vlad (Ilia Volok), a Ukrainian gangster trying to reassert his power after getting out of prison. They assist him by intimidating mall and store owners into paying him protection money, additionally to harassing his rival, Dmitri, by robbing his nightclub and stealing a tiara made for his wife. The next is Hector Morales (Gary Daniels), a Colombian drug trafficker trying to oust the rival Mendoza cartel.
- They start by protecting a shipment of cocaine because it is ambushed by police, then weaken the Mendozas by destroying their weapons shipments and burning their stored money at a local bank.
- When the surviving Mendozas attempt to give evidence to the FBI in exchange for passage out of the country, Hector has the gang assassinate them. Finally, there’s The Elephant, (Bokeem Woodbine) a corrupt Republican politician who hires the gang to assist his party, framing an area senator by planting cocaine in his apartment, or by exposing a deal made by that senator.
If the player manages to satisfy certain requirements spread throughout the sport, a secret “true” ending that wraps up the remaining loose ends of the Payday 2 storyline is going to be unlocked.
In this ending, the gang breaks into a secret vault hidden underneath the White House. After decoding a series of ciphers and completing a puzzle that unlocks the vault door, the gang enters an outsized open chamber that houses a machine called the “Ark of the Watcher”. However, once they create it inside, the Dentist arrives. He demands entry from outside of the vault door, with Bain and Locke held at gunpoint and a bag filled with Mayan gold. The gang opens the door for him but manages to kill the Dentist before he features a chance to shoot Bain and Locke. The gang then proceed to require the gold and place it into specified slots within the Ark. Bright lights suddenly shoot from the machine, because the entire room lights up. Bain then thanks to the gang for all that they need to be done, before supposedly dying.
Since release, over thirty downloadable content (DLC) packages are released for the sport including new heists, weapons, and game mechanics. The weapon pack DLCs are usually named after the gang’s arms dealer, Gage, who was introduced within the Payday webseries wont to promote the sport. Three weapon packs were later introduced through a replacement character, the Butcher, though lately most weapon packs are issued by Gage again.
Announced for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, the Crimewave Edition of Payday 2 includes many features and add-ons from the PC version of the sport. It was released in June 2015. It includes all of the aforementioned DLC and graphical enhancements like an improved framerate and texture quality. The developers have stated that future updates won’t arrive on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 citing hardware limitations because of the reason. In 2016, Payday 2: the large Score was released for the PS4 and Xbox One, containing all of 2015’s DLC.
Payday 2 has received generally positive reviews from critics with general praise from the cooperative elements but heavy criticism for the friendly AI. Vince Ingenito of IGN praised its cooperative gameplay, stealth mechanics and sound design, but wasn’t as impressed at graphical quality.
Payday 2 is Overkill’s first game to possess a boxed retail release. The director of Payday 2, David Goldfarb, stated that “Payday 2 has become just too big to order release on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network alone.” Reports of strong sales within the first week and shortages led 505 Games to figure with retailers in distributing more copies of the sport. The game was still distributed through the PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, and Steam services as planned.
On 8 August 2013, just under a week before launch, Starbreeze Studios confirmed that the game was profitable from pre-orders, covering all of the money invested by the publisher 505 Games. All net profits are going to be divided between the studio and publisher.
The game has sold 1.58 million copies as of September 2013. 80% of those sales were digital. As of 1 November 2014, Payday: The Heist and Payday 2 together have sold more than 9 million units.
As part of its reported restructuring plan following financial difficulties in 2018, Starbreeze stated that they plan to release Payday 3 by 2022–2023.
A Payday 2 esports tournament was held at DreamHack Summer 2016.