- Hole.io may be a 2018 arcade physics puzzle game with battle royale mechanics created by French studio Voodoo for Android and iOS.
- Players control a region traveling a populated area. By consuming various objects, holes will increase in size, allowing players to consume larger objects also as smaller players.
- The most addictive game!
- Enter the stage and face the opposite holes during a fierce battle.
- Eat everything in view together with your region and expand it to eat more! Show them who is that the biggest hole in town!
- Critics praised the sport when it debuted, and it took the highest spot within the free apps section on the App Store and on Google Play. Some critics, however, characterized the sport as just like the 2018 independent game Donut County. it’s also been criticized for being promoted as a multiplayer game when actually the opposite “players” are computer-controlled NPCs.
Hole.io combines several gameplay mechanics. In Classic mode, the player’s objective is to become the most important region by the top of a two-minute round by traveling around the area and consuming trees, humans, cars, and other objects which fall under the region if appropriately sized. Gradually the opening becomes larger and capable of sucking in buildings and smaller black holes. If an object is just too big it’ll not fall in and might block the way preventing other objects from browsing. Players got to utilize the game’s real-time physics to their advantage and optimize their path for effective growth. Other black holes can consume the player’s hole leading to “death” and respawning several seconds later.
“Battle” mode may be a battle royale mode that pits players against one another with the goal of being the last hole standing. While players can still consume the environment, the goal is to eliminate all other holes.
Both Classic and “Battle” mode aren’t played against players, but rather computers. Additionally, a solo mode exists which allows players to play along with the goal of consuming as on the brink of 100% of the town within two minutes. The simple mechanics of the sport put it within the hyper-casual genre.
Players are awarded points at the top of every round that counts toward their level. Each level unlocks new skins to customize the hole’s appearance. Other skins also can be unlocked by performing certain tasks within the sport.
Comparison to Donut County
Donut County maybe a 2018 independent computer game that was in development for a minimum of six years before its release on 28 August 2018, sparking allegations by that game’s developer that Voodoo copied his idea. Both games use an equivalent mechanic of a hole within the ground swallowing objects to grow bigger; however, Donut County additionally features a storyline and a cast of characters which Hole.io lacks. Conversely, Hole.io adds a cityscape. consistent with Variety, Hole.io’s developer Voodoo’s entire range of games, consists of clones of other games. Voodoo managed to secure a $200 million investment from Goldman Sachs shortly after releasing Hole.io.
Soon after its release, Hole.io made it to the highest of the free games section on the Apps Store and Google Play, receiving over 10 million downloads on Google Play alone.
While some reviewers criticized it for copying core mechanics of Donut County, others characterized the sport as being “oddly satisfying and addictive”.