Mastercard Signs with League of Legends as First Global Partner of the World’s Largest Esport
- Mastercard announced a multi-year partnership with Riot Games to become the primary global sponsor for League of Legends esports, the most important esport within the world. This first-of-its-kind global agreement signifies Mastercard’s support of the esports community and further diversifies the technology company’s world-class sports and entertainment portfolio.
- “Esports may be a phenomenon that continues to grow in popularity, with fans which will rival those at any major sporting event in their enthusiasm and energy,” said Raja Rajamannar, chief marketing, and communications officer, Mastercard.
- “Our Priceless platform is made around connecting with people through their passions. We are excited about the experiences and benefits we will bring back the world’s largest esports – both in-game and to the many League of Legends fans that watch and attend the tournaments annually .”
- “We are thrilled to team with Mastercard on this groundbreaking partnership which will provide meaningful and long-term value to our fans,” said Naz Aletaha, head of esports partnerships at Riot Games.
- “Mastercard is among the primary of world-class brands to require such an enormous step into esports at the worldwide level, and we’re proud to possess them to support League of Legends esports events alongside their other premier sports and entertainment sponsorships.”
- As the exclusive global payment services partner for League of Legends global esports events, Mastercard will specialize in three annual global tournaments – the Mid-Season Invitational, the All-Star Event, and therefore the pinnacle of all esports events, the Planet Championship.
- Mastercard will curate unforgettable Priceless experiences and offers across onsite event activations, priceless.com, and other various promotions to bring fans closer to their passion and everything they love about League of Legends events.
- The first live-event activation will happen at the League of Legends World Championship this fall in South Korea, and therefore the first experiences available on Priceless.com will include:
- Mastercard cardholders within the US and Canada (excluding Quebec) will have an opportunity to win the last word All-Star Event experience once they use and save their Mastercard information within the League of Legends gaming platform.Similar promotions and extra ticketing programs will still roll out globally throughout the partnership.
- In addition, Mastercard will work with its banking partners to supply unique League of Legends co-branded products in select markets, starting in 2019.
- For quite 20 years, Mastercard has been a sponsor of sports and entertainment. League of Legends is the latest sport to hitch Mastercard’s impressive roster of premier partners, including big-league Baseball, the PGA TOUR®, The Open, The Australian Open, Roland-Garros, Rugby World Cup, and UEFA Champions League, among others.
Mastercard Expands Global Relationship with Riot Games As Exclusive Category Partner of League of Legends Championship Series in North America
- Mastercard today announced it’s expanded its existing, global partnership with Riot Games League of Legends esports into financial services category exclusivity for the League of Legends Championship Series (LCS), the preeminent esports series in North America, deepening its relationship with the most important esport within the world and reinforcing its support of the esports community.
- Additionally, Mastercard today introduced “Together Start Something Priceless,” a League of Legends community-driven content series which will showcase unique stories of League of Legends players around the world.
- “This expanded relationship represents the continued growth in popularity of esports also because of the success of the worldwide partnership between Mastercard and Riot Games,” said Cheryl Guerin, executive vice-chairman of North America Marketing & Communications at Mastercard. “We also are excited through the ‘Together Start Something Priceless’ content series to not only demonstrate our support for this community but also share a number of the good stories and galvanizing individuals we’ve encountered during our partnership.”
- As the exclusive financial services category sponsor for the LCS, beginning with this weekend’s Summer Split Finals in Detroit, Mastercard will curate a good range of Priceless experiences and exclusive cardholder benefits across onsite event activations, via Priceless.com and thru other to-be-announced promotions to bring cardholders closer to their passion and help fans experience what they love about League of Legends competitions.
- Mastercard also will partner with the platform to integrate payment technology that drives an easy and secure payment experience. This checkout experience arms players with tokenized checkouts masking their card number making every transaction unique for those saving their cards and for people who aren’t, Mastercard will eliminate laborious key entry with Secure Remote Commerce, an easy click to pay inspection.
- “Mastercard has already proven themselves to be true stewards of the League of Legends community. After launching our partnership last year, including global events and therefore the curation of truly priceless moments at Worlds,
- Mastercard has partnered with MOFILM, a pacesetter in crowdsourcing and social content development, to curate five entertaining and galvanizing stories that underscore the brand’s platform “Together Start Something Priceless,” as told by League of Legends players from around the world who are positively impacting the community, leading the way during a trailblazing manner or supporting one another.
- Together Mastercard and MOFILM will deliver five films from select markets (United States, Germany, China, France, and Brazil) over 6 months. Each story will specialize in League of Legend players and their unique stories. Debuting today, the primary film tells the story of professional esports competitor Stephen Ellis, a.k.a. Snoopeh, of the US, and the way he has married his passion for League of Legends esports with an entrepreneurial spirit to assist other players to turn their love of the game into a career.
- All films are going to be unveiled on the new @MastercardNexus channel on Twitter, while Mastercard’s YouTube channel will function as a library for all the films.
Key components of the new LCS partnership
- Sponsorship of the LCS “Player of the Week Award (POTW),” which can recognize one professional LCS athlete as selected by a committee of commentators and analysts on weekly play and attributes. As a further deliverable to the community and viewership, fans will have the power to vote on who they believe the POTW is going to be and potentially receive an equivalent token awarded thereto athlete. More details to be announced within the near future
- Presenting sponsorship of the LCS Opening Ceremonies in Detroit, featuring enhanced brand visibility, assets, and access including Priceless Experiences for cardholders like backstage tours, VIP viewing with League of Legends pro players, and meet-and-greets with the featured musical acts.
- Opportunity to issue co-branded products, featuring esports marks and a spread of League of Legends images, photos and artwork, via Mastercard banking partners, allowing consumers to further integrate their fandom into their everyday lives.
- For quite 20 years, Mastercard has partnered with prominent organizations in sports and entertainment to enable cardholders to further tap into this passion through exclusive access, unique experiences, and one-of-a-kind fan engagement opportunities. LCS is the latest property to hitch Mastercard’s impressive roster of premier partners, including big-league Baseball, the PGA TOUR®, The Open, The Australian Open, Roland-Garros, Rugby World Cup, and UEFA Champions League, among others.
MasterCard and Alienware look to vary the advertising game in esports
- Riot Games is allowing in-game sponsor banners united with Legends with MasterCard and Alienware first to check-in.
- MasterCard and gaming PC firm Alienware are going to be the primary two League of Legends esports sponsors to check-in for the in-game branding opportunity. The banners will debut during the Summer Split portion of the present season and be called Summoner’s Rift arena branding. Riot is enabling each of its 12 regional leagues to possess different sponsors within the game, and crucially for players, the banners will only be visible to viewers of the esports competitions. Riot believes that in-game signage will become one of its most precious deliverables and noted the parallel with traditional sports. “For the primary time of united history, SR Arena Banners put our partners’ brands directly on the sector of play, creating an immersive experience that echoes the energy found in major sports arenas,” said Head of worldwide Esports Partnerships Naz Aletaha.