Mercedes-Benz enters esports in partnership with ESL
- Mercedes Benz will partner with the world’s largest esports company, ESL. This new cooperation will include tournament sponsorships across several global markets. The primary event which will be sponsored as a part of this new partnership is going to be one among ESL’s flagship events, ESL One Hamburg 2017, a Dota 2 tournament with a serious status and a prize pool of €1,000,000.
- The engagement is a component of Mercedes-Benz’s sponsoring- and marketing portfolio’s new strategic direction. After its entry into Formula E, the corporate thus gives another impulse during a future-oriented field. Double-digit growth rates, sold-out stadiums across the world, yearly prize pools of over 100 Million Euros, and almost 500 Million streaming hours watched per month all show the increasing significance of esports.
- According to Newzoo’s 2017 Global Esports Market Report, global esports awareness will increase from 1.1 billion in 2016 to 1.3 billion in 2017 and can approach 1.8 billion by the year 2020. With this rapidly growing global audience, esports is quickly becoming a major target industry for brand involvement and integration. Mercedes-Benz aims to capture the chance of reaching engaged fans.
- Dr. Jens Thiemer, vice chairman of Marketing Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars: “Our wide-ranging international commitment to sport allows us to accommodate the interests of our diverse target groups. As a brand, we maintain close contact with our customers, are ready to build up empathy and to become an accepted part of their world. We’ve been following the extremely fast-growing eSports segment for a few time now and are firm in the opinion that this new involvement will complement our existing sports sponsoring activities with an eye fixed on the long term and permit us to form contact with a really interesting, new target group.”
- Esports may be a rapidly growing field, constantly creating and improving its own world and ecosystem. Many people everywhere on the planet are participating in esports on‐ and offline. As a pioneer, Mercedes-Benz is embarking on an exciting journey and helps to shape a promising future within the field of esports. The brand’s engagement in esports began in 2017 when it became a partner of ESL, one of the most important esports companies within the world, and was deepened in October 2018 when it became the worldwide ESL mobility partner. In 2019, Mercedes-Benz has taken the move of becoming the primary vehicle manufacturer to take a position in an esports team. The involvement in SK Gaming manifests the brand’s commitment to professional gaming because of the spearhead of a worldwide subculture. The year 2020 marks a subsequent milestone within the field of sports sponsoring: the Stuttgart-based luxury brand is about to become the exclusive automotive partner of all global League of Legends Esports events of Riot Games – the Mid-Season Invitational, Worlds, and therefore the All-Star Event.
The Mercedes-AMG Petronas Esports Team is that the esports team of the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula 1 Team.
- Based on the premises of the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team, Brackley, a purpose-built esports training center provides the team’s gamers with world-class facilities and state-of-the-art equipment from our Esports partners, to develop their skills, train, and compete. Being integrated into the Driver-in-Loop Simulator department, where F1 development drivers provide feedback to engineers on a virtual model of the car, the esports program will enjoy transferable elements pertinent to optimizing car set-up and honing racecraft.
- 2020 has already seen the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Esports Team esports drivers Brendon Leigh and Bono Huis team with F1 drivers Valtteri Bottas, Esteban Gutierrez, Anthony Davidson; Formula E drivers Stoffel Vandoorne and Nyck de Vries so as to race, win and entertain fans around the world in F1’s Virtual GP and Pro Exhibition Series; Torque Esports “The Race” All-Star Series and therefore the Formula E Unicef Race reception Challenge.
Mercedes-Benz presents the Trophy Ceremony of the 2020 League of Legends World Championship
- The competition for the world’s top League of Legends (LoL) professional teams happened in Shanghai from 25 September – 31 October 2020. The ultimate saw Suning and DAMWON Gaming battling it out for the title of World Champion, with DAMWON Gaming from South Korea ultimately winning in 4 games [3:1]. The Final, which happened at SAIC Motor Pudong Arena ahead of quite 6,000 attendees, ended with the handover of the Summoner’s Cup within the Trophy Ceremony presented exclusively by Mercedes-Benz. Mercedes-Benz has been the exclusive automotive partner for all League of Legends Esports global events since mid-September and is proud to be a part of the world’s largest esports competition.
- The partnership between Riot Games and Mercedes-Benz was launched with a product appearance within the official 2020 Worlds Anthem Video, sparking excitement and chatter among fans worldwide. The digital activation of the automotive brand known by its three-pointed star, which involved a raffle for 10,000 Hextech Chests during a custom Mercedes-Benz design, was started just after the official announcement of the partnership and provided unique fun for players and fans of League of Legends alike. Over the complete duration of the Worlds 2020, which lasted until 31 October, quite 329,000 players worldwide played quite 3.7 million rounds of the Mercedes-Benz quiz for an opportunity to win a Mercedes-Benz Hextech Chest.
- But the highlight thus far of this introduction by Mercedes-Benz is because the global automotive partner for League of Legends Esports happened last weekend at Worlds 2020 under the motto “From Idols To Icons”. The brand with the three-pointed star put in an appearance at the start than at the top of an exciting day. The arrival of the 2 finalist teams within the exclusive Mercedes-Benz shuttle service set the tone for an exciting finale, giving League of Legends fans a primary glimpse of the players’ faces on this significant day.
- The handover of the trophy, presented exclusively by the Stuttgart-based luxury brand beginning this year, marked the culmination of the event. a gift ceremony with an exciting choreography set against a spectacular backdrop witnessed the presentation of the Summoner’s Cup, followed by the introduction of the winning team before the Cup was handed over to the winners and therefore the pent-up emotions of the day might be released. “Helping to shape such an emotional and atmospherically unique League of Legends World Championship Final made us very proud,” said Bettina Fetzer, Head of selling at Mercedes-Benz AG. “We are particularly pleased about many positive reactions from the community to our commitment.”
Mercedes-Benz in eSports: In-Car-Gaming CLA at ESL One in Birmingham
- Birmingham/Stuttgart. Twelve of the world’s best eSports teams in Dota 2 came together at the weekend to compete in Birmingham. because the global mobility partner of the ESL, Mercedes-Benz supported the tournament at stage Birmingham. Alongside the tournament itself, one among the highlights was the In-Car-Gaming CLA at the Mercedes-Benz stand. Visitors were ready to sit within the vehicle and play the racing simulation “SuperTuxKart” on the widescreen display of the CLA. Operation is via the wheel and also the accelerator and pedal of the CLA.
- Alongside the In-Car-Gaming CLA, an EQC was on show for the delighted members of the general public at ESL One in Birmingham. The battery-electrically driven off-road vehicle is characterized by its intelligent (drive) strategy. Because of its permanent and 100-percent variable all-wheel drive, the EQC delivers a really dynamic performance, the right partner for an exciting Dota 2 match.
- A further highlight of the event was the vote for the Mercedes‑Benz MVP (Most Valuable Player), which is held as a part of every Dota 2 tournament. The worldwide fan community also as an independent jury of 5 crowned the Estonian Player Clement “Puppey” Ivanov of “Team Secret” as Mercedes-Benz MVP, who can choose a Mercedes‑Benz valued at 50,000 euros because of their outstanding performance within the tournament. the entire prize for the tournament was nearly 270,000 euros.
- The Mercedes-Benz stand at stage Birmingham offered the visitors a journey through time from the origins of gaming to modern eSports. Whereas the Gameboy was a well-liked travel gadget on the rear seat an honest 20 years ago, today the vehicle itself is a games console.
- Under the hashtag #RiseOn, Mercedes-Benz is entering the third year of its eSports activities. With the acquisition of shares within the eSports pioneer SK Gaming and therefore the global mobility partnership with the ESL, Mercedes-Benz is one of the most important global sponsors of this sort of sport.
Mercedes-Benz to become the exclusive automotive partner of all global LoL Esports events
- The Stuttgart-based luxury brand is about to become the exclusive automotive partner of all global League of Legends Esports events of Riot Games. This was announced today by Bettina Fetzer, vice chairman Marketing Mercedes-Benz AG, during the 2020 League of Legends World Championship Preview Event. The partnership will specialize in the League of Legends community and can feature Mercedes-Benz because of the presenting sponsor of the Trophy Ceremony at global events, the top of sporting success for LoL pro teams.
- The tenth edition of the 2020 LoL Esports World Championship, or 2020 Worlds for a brief, will happen in Shanghai from 25 September to 31 October. the primary major global sports event in China since the coronavirus pandemic marks not only the tenth anniversary of the Worlds but also the start of the worldwide partnership between Riot Games and Mercedes-Benz. Hints about the partnership got to the community beforehand. Attentive observers had already recognized the Mercedes-Benz GLA and therefore the Mercedes-Benz EQC (combined power consumption: 21.3-20.2 kWh/100 km, combined CO2 emissions: 0 g/km)¹in the official Worlds anthem video, released on 17 September. it had been a hot topic within the community. Mercedes-Benz responded immediately on social media, where Bettina Fetzer, vice chairman Marketing Mercedes-Benz AG, sat in an EQC with the Summoner’s Cup on the front passenger seat and said in a dialogue with MBUX: “Hey Mercedes, guide me to Shanghai!”
- Bettina Fetzer officially announced the partnership today at the World’s 2020 Preview Event, hosted by Riot Games. Mercedes-Benz is now the exclusive automotive partner of the three global events of League of Legends: the Mid-Season Invitational, Worlds, and therefore the All-Star Event. In doing so, the automotive brand bearing the three-pointed star is elevating the prevailing sponsorship of the Chinese League of Legends, the so-called LPL, to a worldwide level.
- “We decided to partner with Riot Games because we strongly believe esports”, says Bettina Fetzer, vice chairman Marketing Mercedes-Benz AG: “League of Legends is one among the foremost popular games in recent years. By partnering with Riot Games at the worldwide level, we would like to participate even more actively than before in shaping the longer term of esports and encourage fans about our brand during a playful dialog”.
- Mercedes-Benz begins the partnership with the motto “Icons of a replacement generation” and in doing so looks back on ten years of League of Legends Esports World Championship. Mercedes-Benz underlines the notion of the community first at the beginning of Worlds and through the event issues Mercedes-Benz-branded Hextech Chests – virtual surprise boxes with coveted in-game items. Furthermore, plans involve using creative and innovative approaches to supply and supply exclusive content for fans during the Worlds. By doing so, Mercedes-Benz intends to interact with many connected fans around the globe and to actively participate in shaping Worlds through constant engagement.
- “As the first luxury automotive brand to embrace esports at a global scale, Mercedes-Benz has developed a deep understanding of the unrelenting passion fueling the game and the League of Legends esports community,” said Naz Aletaha, Head of Global Esports Partnerships, Riot Games. “Mercedes has been synonymous with excellence for nearly a century, and we are excited to combine our shared appetite for innovation to bring great sporting moments to the global League of Legends stage”.
- In addition, the TV spot that impressively fuses the world of LoL Esports with the real world celebrated its world premiere at the media event. In the spot, the viewer meets both famous esports heroines and heroes as well as a number of the most popular League of Legends characters. Only the interaction of all the players makes the line-up an unbeatable team and therewith “Icons of a new generation”.
- The commitment to esports and the creation of added value is also made tangible by a host of other measures. Mercedes-Benz will from now on present the trophy ceremonies at all three global events, bring a new broadcast segment in the most important global event streams to the homes of fans, and pay a lasting tribute to esports in general and the League of Legends community in particular with additional integrations and creative communication activities.